Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Thanksgiving and Potty Training!


This Thanksgiving I had a lot to be Thankful for!  There were the obvious reasons, I have my health, a great job and been blessed to have Lucy in my life.  Who knew that I would add a potty trained child to my list!!  I chose to attack potty training during this time because I wanted to have a period of time where I would be able to be consistent and supportive of this new challenge in Lucy's life.  I got a lot of advice and opinions on how to navigate through potty training so with M&M's, new hello kitty panties and the potty set up in the living room we were armed and ready.  I even had back up in case I caved! ( Becky flew in from Denver).  The first few days Lucy went commando.   She ran around the house buck naked in hopes that she would feel the urge to use to potty a little sooner.  Instead of finding the potty, she found curtains to hide behind, dark bathroom floors and little nooks behind the chairs!  Here's a good place for my to enter what else I am thankful for...wood floors.  Day 1 was a BUST!  On Thanksgiving Day, Lucy was still running around commando and in between coaxing her to use the potty, my reinforcements showed up.  Now we were going to get this done!  Still, more dark rooms, behind the curtains etc.  I just kept thinking, if I can get her to understand the feeling, she can do this.  Lucy had no problem holding her blatter.  She can hold it, 3 and 4 hours.  So finally on one of those times where she hadn't gone potty for over 3 hours I decided to help mother nature. I sat her on the potty and filled a bucket with warm water and while she was sitting on the potty I put her foot in the bucket of water.  Sure enough, we had success!!!  Streamers, potty dances and M&M's galore.
  I continued this process for the next few days and even took her potty with us shopping on black Friday.  In between visits into different stores, she would have a potty break in the back of the car.  Needless to say, when she went back to school on Monday, she showed up in her hello kitty panties ready to go!  We had a lot to be Thankful for this year anyway, but now we can add POTTY TRAINED to that list!

No comments:

Post a Comment